Duncan Beattie was born in Scotland in a small town called Banknock, Stirlingshire on July 7, 1929. He was one of 15 children who immigrated to Hamilton in 1951.
When Duncan arrived in the City in 1960, he became on of the Directors of the Hamilton Italo Canadians Soccer Club. In 1961 Italo Canadians changed their name to Steelers and joined the Canadian Professional Soccer League. Duncan is the last founding Director of this league which included people like Harold Ballard (President) and Toronto City Soccer Club owner Steve Stavros (Director).
Duncan’s achievements include: being actively involved in the Ibrox disaster fundraiser in Hamilton, serving two terms as a Member of Parliament in the federal government, 10 years with the Hamilton Harbour Commission, and a founding member of HECFI (Hamilton Entertainment Convention Facilities Inc.).
Duncan was instrumental in attracting many soccer players to Hamilton back in the 1960’s. John Kerr, Danny Mc Lardy, John Simpson and Eversly (Bo) Lewis were just a few of the players that Duncan attracted. Duncan also helped attract former inductee Frank Donlavey.
His last act in soccer was to agree to release the name Hamilton Steelers.